Friday 24 April 2015

The Many Uses of Rose Water


Rose water is essentially a flavoured water, made up of steeped rose petals and distilled water. Being Persian, there is no escaping Golab (translated literally as Gol - rose, Ab - water). It's a staple ingredient in Persian cuisine, chai, coffee, cocktails, skincare and beauty. In Iranian homes, rose water is used to add a distinct taste to foods such as rice, ice cream and cakes - in fact the general Persian stereotype goes 'The more rose water used in cooking, the better the cook'. Since Ancient Persian times, Golab has been used for medicinal and cosmetic purposes such as eye drops for clearing ones eye, or sprayed directly onto skin to revitalize, cleanse and freshen facial pores.
Although rose water adds amazing taste and smell to food, I unfortunately haven't mastered the art of Persian cooking (awful, I know). I have, however, found other uses for it and it now has a well deserved role as part of my skincare routine!
Cleansing:
Having mentioned many times before, I have hypersensitive skin that is prone to product reactions and break outs. What better way to cleanse my skin from makeup and impurities, than to use natural ingredients that I know my skin will not turn down? Every night I place a few drops of rose water onto a large cotton pad and gently rub in circular motions across my face and neck. Surprisingly, this works as a great cleanser, and I always notice a significant change in pore size when I use this product.
Tip: I sometimes mix Witch Hazel with Rose Water for added anti-septic effect, this works even better when I am suffering from breakouts, as WH combats infected/damaged skin cells.

Face Spray:
If you took any notice of the beauty world this gone year, you would have taken note of the 'face spray' trend. Essentially, a bottled up water based product that can be carried in ones handbag for freshening of makeup, or generally used to spray before moisturizing to 'wake up' your skin. Luckily, I didn't buy into the trend for two purposes 1) it's all a bit gimmicky, 2) I refuse to pay £20+ for a bottle of water and some harsh chemicals/perfumes (basically). Something that I have been doing since I was a young teen, is making my own facial spray at home using... rose water! This seems like a trick, but it honestly works wonders. If you're skin is feeling a bit irritated, dull or your makeup needs freshening to look a bit more dewy, a couple of rose water spritz and you're good to go!
Tip: Tea tree and Witch Hazel are also great to add to the mixture for an added oomph of goodness.

Soften Dry Skin:
Only I haven't yet been daunted with facial wrinkles or fine lines, I often realise that the skin around my eyes can feel tight, which in turn makes my makeup apply patchy. Tight, dry skin is your body's way of telling you it's thirsty, though sometimes even enough hydration cannot do the trick. By placing two cotton pads soaked in rose water on my eyes for a few minutes, you can see great results. Tip: I like to use a couple of cups of rose water in my bath water not only for the divine fragrance and freshness, but also for its immediate softening effect.

Natural Body Spray: 
Just as it works as a natural makeup setting spray, rose water is also a great alternative to the standard body sprays that can be harsh on your skin and let's face it, sometimes they don't smell great either. Just fill a plastic spritzer and voila! 
Tip: Mix half cup of rose water with a few drops of rose essential oil for extra fragrance power.

Rose Water Tea:
As a lover of everything tea, I add a few drops of rose water to both hot and cold tea. Rose water works especially well in chilled green tea, I like to make rose water ice cubs - sounds fancier than it is. Just fill your ice tray with rose water, once frozen pop a few cubes into your long glass of green tea.
Tip: I know a few people who hate the taste of green tea, so try stirring a tea spoon of agave nectar in your drink to add some sweetness and flavour.

The possibilities are endless, and will do your body and skin many favours.

Saina
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment