Thursday 23 April 2015

Turmeric Face Mask : DIY


As a lifelong sufferer of eczema, and hypersensitive skin, my face has been left with stubborn scars from rashes and irritations as a child, but also as a result of cystic acne in my first year of uni (let's call it a fusion of the 'student diet' and 'student anxiety').

I've tried many face oils, serums and moisturizers to keep breakouts at bay but to also reduce the appearance of scarring; though nothing seems to have done the trick! But then I finally gave into my mum's recommendations - "turmeric mask, turmeric mask, turmeric mask" (she said each and every time I made a trip back home on the weekend). In today's commercial beauty world, we are repeatedly exposed to face masks and peels of all sorts of clays, ingredients and chemicals but this all natural, easy to make remedy has been a part of Middle Eastern homes for centuries and works every time.


This homemade turmeric mask seems to have made a significant difference in revitalizing the appearance of my skin, and has in time reduced the discoloration of both eczema and acne scarring. My mum also swears by this mask for the softening of fine lines and wrinkles!

Required Ingredients:
2 teaspoons turmeric
2 teaspoons of raw, organic honey
1 teaspoon of milk or yoghurt (optional)
1 teaspoon of avocado (optional)

Preparation: 
I ensure my face is cleansed entirely with no traces of makeup or impurities left behind - as recommended a few posts back I love the Body Shop oil cleanser and use a soft bristled face brush to lightly exfoliate my skin.
Once your skin is clean and fresh, place a headband (honey in your hair is gross, trust me), apply the smooth paste on your face. Allow the mask to harden on your skin for arond 15-20 minutes and then you can rinse it off with warm water.

Tips:
Soak two cucumber slices in rose water, and place on your eyes - enjoy your zen moment!
Once mask has been rinsed off with warm water, give your face a splash of cold water and gently dry (avoid harshly rubbing towel all over face)

Saina
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment