Tuesday 28 May 2013

MAC Candy Yum-Yum Dupe?



As much as we all love the little makeup splurges, sometimes there are alternatives that are equally as good as those we spend forever lusting over. Although there are steeper and more luxurious options, £14 for a MAC lipstick may sometimes be quite a demand. Candy Yum-Yum is a super bright, cool toned pink with a matte finish, ensuring the colour stays put for hours. As with most MAC matte lipsticks, a nourishing lip balm and/or lip scrub is required as they have a tendency to drag over your lips and exaggerate any dry skin. I absolutely love this neon pink and it remains one of my favourite.

However, before this shade was brought back into the permanent range, I was on the hunt for a similar lipstick and actually stumbled upon a close alternative in Superdrug.
Look Beauty's Rock Candy is a super pigmented bright, blue toned pink with a semi matte finish. When first applied to the lips it has a slight sheen to it, but this wears to a complete matte finish. I would suggest a prior lip liner application, at it has a slight tendency to bleed or smudge if not blotted. The lasting power is surprisingly good – I could go about 3 hours before having to reapply to slightly patchy lips. 
With all that being said I have a couple of complaints -firstly the packaging. The whole magnetic closure sure is cool, but when I carry it around in my makeup bag, I find the lid slips and slides off and the last thing I want is this colour all over my white makeup bag! The plastic in which the lipstick is homed also feels quite cheap and hollow so I’m always reluctant about taking it out with me. The geometrical pattern is cute, but I find the brushed silver to already be chipping off – not a good look. Lastly, the lipstick has a distinct smell, which I find to be unpleasant. The only way I can describe is that it smells like the cheap makeup we used to get as children with the little crayon lipsticks and bright coloured eye shadows; I really hope someone understands! 
Candy Yum-Yum left, Rock Candy right

As you can see in the swatches, the two colours are almost identical with Candy Yum-Yum being slightly more vibrant, and Rock Candy has a sheen finish. With Look Beauty's lipstick at £7, I consider it a beauty steal! I also managed to bag it for £3.50 as they often have 50% off in Superdrug. 

Do you have any cheap dupes for high end makeup? 

Look Beauty Lipstick here 
Mac Lipstick here

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment