Thursday 13 June 2013

How to: Flat lifeless hair to Volumized big hair



So, I’m a big fan of big hair – the bigger the hair, the closer to heaven.. Right? I prefer the just-got-out-of-bed look, sort of messy, somewhat backcombed, effortless though tamed. I understand some try to prevent the nest head appearance at all costs, but this is just a personal preference coming from someone who has wanted dreadlocks since the age of 9! Naturally, my hair falls straight with the occasional wave therefore I rely heavily on a few items to achieve my desired look. I wont go into detail about my hair care routine as I have posted it in full detail here.

This Fudge Sea Salt Spray is sprayed on semi damp hair, scrunched using hands and left to dry naturally. It provides undeniable volume, and lifts the roots of hair along with shorter layers. I love this product and have been using it for 2 years now; I also like to use this on second day hair to refresh style. This can also be used on wet hair then blow dried to create volume and fuller looking hair, which is ideal for those who like straight hair but seek volume too. This spray has a beautiful summer scent of coconut (Malibu in a bottle) and the smell lingers on for a while, which I absolutely love! A major thumbs up for this product as it feels very light and does not make my hair feel weighed down or greasy. Considering the price (£6.99) and the amount you get in a bottle (150ml), I don’t see any cons in this item especially as you only need to spritz a small amount to get big results.

Another product I like to use only when blow-drying my hair is the Tresemme Root Boosting spray. I find that if you use this spray directly onto your hair as instructed it ends up making your hair feel weighed down and rather greasy. However, I’ve found the best way to use is to carefully spritz some at sectioned hair prior to blow-drying with a round brush. It creates added volume and bouncy waves.

The vo5 Plump Me Up dry shampoo is another favourite of mine. You use this spray just like you would any dry shampoo, by spraying it onto the roots or areas that feel dull and need uplifting. What I love about this product is that not only does it work great as a dry shampoo but it also creates great texture and body to lifeless hair. And for that reason I use this for multiple purposes - when my hair needs refreshing, but also when I want added texture. I must admit, I still find myself backcombing my hair at the roots in conjunction with this product but the texture it creates is too great for me to pass this product.

I’ve read one too many negative reviews about volume powders being too heavy and creating product build up, but this little gem I found in Sally’s works wonders on my hair! I like to use this on freshly washed hair, as that’s when my hair is most stubborn and likes to fall dead straight and fluffy. As opposed to dusting this directly to my roots, I like to place some onto the tips of my fingers and massage it through the roots of my hair.

This backcombing brush is carried around in my handbag almost all the time. Despite the claims surrounding backcombing and its damaging effects, I have been backcombing my hair since I was 14 (good ol’ scene days). I think as long as you are gentle, do not go too frantic with the brush and use products that maintain nourishment and tangle free hair, the risks of damaging your hair are quite low. I purchased this brush from Sally’s and sometimes I can skip using all the products mentioned above and only use this with some hairspray. I roughly section my hair and gently push back the roots of my hair locking my hair into shape. I never backcomb ontop of my hair, but rather from underneath the sections I have created.

Do you have any recommendations for big hair?

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment