Tuesday 16 September 2014

Series: Salad Struggles




I remember a couple of years back when I began to embrace the healthier lifestyle, the thought of dinner with friends was much more sacrificial-like than enjoyable. Quite naturally, you cannot persuade a group of people to eat at one particular place due to their 'finer healthy options'. Over time however, I have accumulated quite the list of restaurants that offer healthy options as well as being a restaurant for those who aren't carbophobes to enjoy! As part of my 'Salad Struggles' I'm going to share with you my experience at Comptoir Libanais, and hopefully show you that healthy does not need to be the same routine supermarket salad. 

"It’s food that’s affordable and easy to know – healthy, light and you can enjoy it every day of the week. Comptoir Libanais means Lebanesse counter and that’s exactly what it is: somewhere you can eat casually, with no fuss.”

The creator of Comptoir Libanais, Tony Kitous, describes his Middle Eastern restaurants as a casual alternative to Lebanese food - where street style food meets traditional dishes.  


The Restaurant:
First, let me begin by saying that once you set foot into a Comptoir Libanis restaurant, you will feel that you have just entered a mini Marrakech Souk. You will find yourself surrounded by gift boxes of baklava and Turkish delight, meanwhile traditional Arabic music playing in the background. The restaurants have added a twist on the traditional Lebanese sandwich bars, by adding a variety of colours and patterns in forms of seating decor and wall art, adding a particular vibrancy to your experience. 

The Menu: 
What I love about this particular Middle Eastern restaurant, is the menu. Although kept very traditional with the standard falafel, shawarma wraps, haloumi etc. You can instantly see the effort and creativity gone into compiling the perfect menu with the variety of drinks on offer - both alcoholic and non. I opted for the frozen mint, lemon and lime lemonade and I can assure you I haven't stopped thinking about it since! The food menu is also similar in it's ability to cater to your requirements - with a variety of both hot and cold mezze, you and your friends can opt for a Tapas style meal. This is ideal if you are not familiar with Middle Eastern food as it allows to explore the variety of tastes in smaller portions. If you would prefer a set meal you can opt for a wrap, or for an extra £1 you can receive your wrap in a platter form accompanied with hummus and salad. Here's where the healthy gets speaking, the salad options! There are a few salad choices, and I opted for the haloumi salad (extremely generous with their haloumi) with a cheeky side of falafel (I can't do Lebanese without the falafel, that would be rude..right?). 


The experience: 
I'm a firm believer of stepping out of your food comfort zone, and trying new types of cuisine on offer. Although this was by no means my first try of Lebanese food, it was my first visit to this particular restaurant and I was pleasantly surprised at how a few unique touches created a far more special experience. 


I hope this encourages you to give this restaurant a visit. Do you have any other restaurant recommendations? I'm always trying to find new places and would love to hear some of your favourites. 

Saina 
xo


No comments:

Post a Comment